Pot Movers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, May 26, 2019.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    We've used these for years under the pots on the patio. They're ideal as it's easy to rearrange them to present the best view from our French windows. It means that my wife can do it herself despite her MS if she having a "good day" and wants to do it herself instead of asking me.
    I like the plastic ones as I drilled a hole in the centre, to let out any surplus water or rain during the winter. I can block up the hole with a dab of silicone for the summer so that they will retain some excess water as in hot weather pots on patios can dry out.

P1010631.JPG

But there's a problem, the combination of mover and pot makes them a bit unstable as they've only three wheels, in strong winds if there's a lot of foliage they can blow over. Then that's £25 down the drain as the pot will likely crack. This happened to one last year. I tried glueing it, but it hasn't lasted, I replaced it yesterday.
    We've moved ten roses onto the new paved area over the former koi pool and they are filling out nicely. They are more exposed there than on the patio with back of the house and fences either side. The new area could be a bit of a wind tunnel.

So I'm tempted to pull the wheels off the pot movers, so they become more stable and will still retain some water, as we're not likely to be moving them around like the five left on the patio. I can always put the wheels back.

I was going to do it today but it's raining. So I'll be flitting betwen playing my musical instruments and watching the French Open tennis on TV.

P1020875.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      It's been dry and sunny this afternoon but a bit windy, it's blown the petals off a few of the fading rose blooms. So I went ahead and removed the wheels from the pot movers on the new paving. I'm happier with them like this, instead of sitting on three wheels they sit on four "bumps" in the plastic which keeps the body of the pot off the paving and makes things more secure.

P1020876.JPG

I've put the wheels in a box and put them in the garage. I've a lot of other "stuff" in there.

raiderslastscene-magnum.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,559
        Hi @Doghouse Riley , would it work to add one or two casters to each tray to increase stability?

Your patio looks absolutely perfect :dbgrtmb: and The Garage very realistic. I have heard of people who actually keep their cars in the garage, imagine that! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          We currently have 3 outbuildings all crammed full of "stuff". One day in the not too distant future I intend to get a greenhouse. That too in time, I'm sure, will be crammed full of "stuff".
          G.

• Like Like x 1
          • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411
            Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately there are just three lugs for the shafts of the wheels to fit in. The rest apart from a few spines is just thin plastic.

• Friendly Friendly x 1