Potato plants not 'earthed up'

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by 6inchesunder, May 31, 2005.

1. 6inchesunder

6inchesunder Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

a beginner to gardening, I've just come back from a three-week holiday to potato plants that are approximately two feet high but only earthed to first six inches or so. They were planted early April and earthed up before I went away. Apart from organising future hols better, is it too late to continue to earth up or can I cut back to produce a greater yield? The plants are a small collection of Premier, Orla, Charlotte, Colleen and Cosmos.

Regards,
    6inchesunder

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Earthing up is done for 2 main reasons

1 to protect the plants from ground frosts which would blacken the foliage

2 to cover any tubers near the surface that would turn green and poisonous

So I would say unless you see any tubers poking through (if you do rake some soil over them) they should be alright as they are now

3. 6inchesunder

6inchesunder Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'll make sure any tubers are covered. I had assumed that earthing up allowed other tubers to grow higher up the plant - was I wrong about this?

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    This is from the HDRA fact sheet

Cultivation

Earthing up
    Potatoes can be 'earthed up' as they grow, bringing soil up around the shoots. This helps control weeds, prevents the tubers turning green and gives some protection against tuber blight. Do it first when plants are around 15cm (6in) tall, leaving a couple of inches of foliage showing. Earth up again just before the foliage meets across the rows. On a closer spacing, earthing up will not be possible, but the plants will shade themselves anyway.

Alternatively, the plants can be mulched with a thick layer of hay, straw, leaf-mould or grass mowings. This will have the added benefit of conserving moisture.