potato plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by k9max, Jul 4, 2010.

1. k9max

k9max Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

this is my my second yr trying potaotoes last year was unsuccussful, this year i have a loverly show of plants about a foot and a half tall, but they have began to go yellow and die off. is this normal or do i eed to do something.

thanks for any help you can give
    kathryn:cnfs:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Kathryn we need more info. What type of potatoes, early, second early or maincrop? Variety? When planted? And what treatment have they had?:thumb:

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    What kind of potatoes are they K9max.
    If they're earlies and been in the ground 13 weeks then they just go yellow and die off when they're ready. I'm eating my earlies.
    If you're still worried you need to tell us more.

4. k9max

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for responses,
    they white potatoes as far as am aware can remember
    think yes prob about 12 weeks or so since planted, the bag of seed potatoes i bought wasnt very helpful in what to do etc, when bought thought the guides would be on the inside of pack top but no.

do i wait to lift them till they completly died back,
    i water them normally at least 6 out of 7 days a week and give them a little liquid all purpose food about once a fornight.

kathryn :)

5. k9max

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for responses,
    they white potatoes as far as am aware can remember
    think yes prob about 12 weeks or so since planted, the bag of seed potatoes i bought wasnt very helpful in what to do etc, when bought thought the guides would be on the inside of pack top but no.

do i wait to lift them till they completly died back,
    i water them normally at least 6 out of 7 days a week and give them a little liquid all purpose food about once a fornight.

kathryn :)

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,634
    Sounds like the natural way of things with early potatoes and not enough organic matter incorporated when you planted them. They are ready now, dig up one plant straight away and see what you have got. Dig the rest up as you need them and enjoy :thumb:

7. thelittlegardeners

thelittlegardeners Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What's the general consensus on watering potatoes? I've read on various blogs that people hardly water them at all - only when it's been really dry.

I've got my earlies and main crop in patio planters so tend to water them at least every other day.