1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potatoe Problem

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    For the last couple of years I have had a problem with my potatoes and end up putting most of them in the compost bin.When I dig them up most of them have lots of small holes in them and I have actually seen worms in a few holes.I have been told it is probably something called wireworm if so how do I prevent it.I plant the potatoes in different places each year never in the same place.I read somewhere about nemitodes not sure of the spelling how are they used.This year I had six potato sacks with five seed potatoes in each and they were all fine lovely crop so maybe that is the answer or get a couple of half barrels and grow them in those just a idea.

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Been there. Done that. Often so soul destroying, having prepared the ground, planted, contended with bugs etc attacking the top growth. The come the time to harvest. Her the scene changes. Much is the result of the seasonal weather. Row upon row of moth ball sized tubers, then agood season, reasonable sized tubers etc etc.

Sadly the common old spud is so often the vicim of just about everything going. Even today, chemicals available to the common gardenere are few and far between and honestly inaffective. Due to the fact that most are, 'systemic' simply meaning. The purposeful ingrediant is absorbed via the vegative part of the plant to the roots. Most like glysophate are neutralized by soil contact.. So save your money.
    You practice correctly , by planting different areas each time.

May I pass on my and my late dad's practice. Select your site. Dig it over. Leave to rest. Then when dry, apply a good spreading of lime. Leave for some time. When ready to plant. Dig a spit, add whatever compost plus the sedd potato, next row, dig and cover the previous row. When growth is observed, start to earh up. Then when the plants are looking good, apply a handful of sulphate of ammonia around the stems. This will not always get reid of soil-borne critters but can help.

Back to the harvested tubers....spuds. Blemmishes and holes etc can be cut away. The rest is edible.