Potatoes by trees did well

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Janet mahay, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    A freind of mine had a few seed potatoes left from a pk about 8 of them so she gave them to me as i didnt have much room i decieded to sow them at the back of the garden near the oak tree on 1side of the fence and on the other side are some other trees
    i thought at least they will soften the soil even if they dont grow.

They started to grow so the first few weeks i covered them with soil but soon after they grew tall and bushy so when they started to go yellow and brown i dug them up and to my surprise i have never had such a good crop of potatoes for a long while and they tasted yummy

Next year i certainly going to plant again potatoes there in fact i probelly sow more but honestly though i didnt think they would grow so well near by trees it surprised me i was going to put a pic up but accidently i deleted it

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Hello Janet. Nice to see you and your post. Well done. So the humble spud, paid dividends in the end. Great news.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +609
        Hi mike thanks I hope you been ok with hubby off for 5months we was decorating, painting etc I did not not spend a lot of time on comp janet

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +48,890
          We turned out our composters to move them a few weeks back, with the intention that the compost would lay over winter and form the lower level in the new raised bed - and there were a few bits of potato in there. I now have three or four quite healthy looking potato plants growing in what is going to become the new raised bed! They won't come to anything as it is so late in the year, but it is remarkable how big they have grown so fast.

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,404
            I've used ground that has not been used for years and always get a good crop first year.
            If the ground has not grown much for a while it might well have a few years of fallen oak leaves rotted down in it.
            I think the very old idea of having a fallow patch was a good one.

• Like Like x 2