1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potatoes in crates

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greecko, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    We get a lot of small shallow crates in work, roughly 30cm high by roughly a metre long. I have grown strawberries in them before but Im wondering are they too shallow for potatoes?

I have never grown them before and was also wondering whether an east or south facing window in an unheated garage would be best? Ive been to a dobbies (Which is one of the few places with a big range in NI) and they are very soft and its obviously very warm in the store, are these worth getting?

Weather here is normally wet and windy and I know drainage is an issue with the crates as some of my strawb dried out last summer due to the unusually high temps and me being away.

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hiya Greecko.

My guess is that they (crates) will give a crop, but nothing meaningful in terms of yield. Probably not worth the effort. As for the seed potatoes you saw, they should be ok to use.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,994
    The crates are too shallow, but you can start them off in that way then replant into the garden when the weather improves - it will give you a head start.

4. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks! I thought that myself as even digging up round them itd be too much. They are very handy for pest control and moving around, I'm just curious but would any other plants be suitable for them even? Im not sure how outdoor toms would work here, very blowy and wet. I had tried salad veg in them but only to discover that they gave my stomach and awful turning haha, so they are out