1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potatoes - spots on leaves

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Suziequeue, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Suziequeue

Suziequeue Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    I have some Charlotte potatoes in bags which are doing well but the leaves have started to develop small brown spots. In some others - the leaves are starting to run yellow with spots.

Does this mean that they have finished?

I didn't see them flower ever so am I just going to find a sack full of pebbles?

trying to upload pic but not successful so far

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Suzie, the spots are possibly early blight and nowt to worry about. Yellowing is most likely to be a sign that growth has ended and it's time to start harvesting. Our first earlies are ready now, we harvested one container this week and the other one (yellow leaves and some spots) will be left until we've finished eating our first lot.

3. Suziequeue

Suziequeue Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Dave. I thought I would bite the bullet and cut all the spotty hallums. I harvested the bag without anything left and sure enough - a lovely crop of perfect new potatoes. We had them boiled and still slightly warm with mayonnaise.

Bliss :)