Potentilla thurberi 'Monarch's Velvet'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Beachlover, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    I planted this lovely plant in totally the wrong place :oops: in the spring where it just doesnt get enough sun (north facing fence) it has flowered but really leaning over to catch the sun. I want to move to a more sunny spot should I wait until autumn / next spring or would it be OK to move now?

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    The general rule with herbaceous perennials is - blooming early in year, move in Autumn, blooming later in year, move the following Spring.

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Beachlover

Moving a potentilla is usually an autumn or early spring job so unless there's a special urgency, I'd wait if I were you.

4. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OK many thanks for info, also I wondering if this was a plant that can be divided when I lift and replant

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I believe most Potentillas can be divided (and benefit from it, like most perennials), but if it was only planted this Spring, give it another year or two before dividing, to give it a chance to establish and grow a bit more!

6. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Definitely divide it. I'm now up to 4 decent sized Potentillas from the one (rather expensive) variety I bought 4 or 5 years ago. Bargain. Might try flogging a couple as I've not got the space for them.

Probably better to leave it till next year though as Aaron says.

I always do my Potentillas (division or moving) in Autumn.