Pots in the greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Tabitha, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an unheated greenhouse. Over the summer it's full of tomatoes and chillies etc. I've got some really big tubs in there at the moment which I filled with top soil last summer which was left over from another project so I've had 2 years of growth from it. The toms have been very fruitful this year but the leaves are looking pretty yellow now. Because these pots are so big to fill with compost it would be quite expensive to change it every season so my questions are

1. Will the soil still be good to keep growing things in or should I change it.

2. Would things grow better in compost or growbags etc.

Thanks.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Tabitha

I grow my toms in buckets ,leave space to top up the soil as the season progresses :thumbsup:,that way waste is minimal.:heehee: I prefer compost and throw it over my flower borders when the toms have finished. If you get blight it all has to go as you will spread the blight. :(

I would think your soil is pretty exhausted by now after 2 seasons :cry3:

I think it sounds that your tubs are too big for the job :what:

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      I agree with Pamdish.:thumbsup: I also grow my toms etc in buckets and when finished dress the borders with the used compost. It might seem economical to hang onto compost and reuse it but the risk of infections, pests, plus having to revitalise the old compost doesn't make it worth it.:scratch::what:

• Tabitha

Tabitha Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you for confirming my thoughts.