1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potted 10 foot Olive Tree looks like its dying - Help please :(

Discussion in 'Trees' started by shippo, May 30, 2010.

1. shippo

shippo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Maybe you can help. I luckily live on the top floor of an apartment block in Birmingham, UK where I have an outside terrace paved area. It can get very hot with sun and can also be very windy at times.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a potted olive tree (approx. 10 foot tall / 35 ish years old I would think) but now it isnâ??t looking too healthy.
    I am a complete newbie with plants/trees etc so please bare with me.
    It is in a large plastic pot (dims 60cm Diameter x 50cm Height) with what looks look a very sandy type of soil.
    The problem is that the leaves seem very dry and are falling off everywhere. Some of the leaves also seem to be turning brown. I didnâ??t water it over the last few weeks being told that it wouldnâ??t really need watering very much as they are from the Mediterranean where they donâ??t get much water. Over the last few weeks it has been either very hot on the terrace or very windy, or both at the same time.

I was looking at repotting it in the white pot that approx. 66cmDiameter by 60cm high, but what type of soil should it go in? How often should I water it? What about feeding?

Can anybody help/advise at all? How can I save it?

Thanks
    Paul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Paul & [​IMG]... I am no expert on olive trees. We have had a couple of threads on them though & I thought perhaps they might help or somebody else is sure to be along later..

For advice on soil for re-potting, look here... http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/repotting-olive-tree-t27127.html?t=27127&highlight=olive+tree
    After reading this one I would say that perhaps re-potting & then feed & water might be your answer..

These are the other threads..
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/fo...ease-t26767.html?t=26767&highlight=olive+tree

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/fo...ught-t26799.html?t=26799&highlight=olive+tree

Let us know how you get on.. :thumb:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    It looks like one of those old olive trees thats been dug up to make way for development in Spain or Greece or some such place.

Its not been grown in that pot and has lost a very large amout of root,

I think it will look sad for quite a while and need a lot of watering and feeding.

4. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
  5. shippo

shippo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Thanks for the responses.
    I have moved them against a wall so theyre not getting as much battering from the wind now. They seem to be in a very heavy type gritty orange sand at the moment do you think its best keeping them in that or getting some kind of grit/john innes 3 to re pot?
    I am also looking into that rootgrow stuff, any ideas how and when its applied?
    Thanks
    Shippo

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Good idea to move them to a more sheltered spot..If yo do decide to re-pot then John Innes #3 & then add 10% grit or sharp sand.. You use the root grow when you re-pot.. It is all explaned on the packet.. :thumb: