1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Potted Rose advice please

Discussion in 'Roses' started by luciusmaximus, Dec 31, 2019.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    In August I cut back Mr Woos lovely patio Rose and expected it to go dormant over winter time. It's had other ideas and is still flowering and producing more buds :huh:. Should I cut it back again or not? And should I feed now or wait until Spring? I didn't feed it in August.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,881
    Good afternoon @luciusmaximus my apologies for not answering your post before now,I can only respectfully say that I would leave it until end of March/February before pruning ,as for feeding I would do that in the Spring as feeding your roses after August can cause soft growth to get damaged by a cold winter:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
      Ratings:
      +6,899
      I've already cut it back this morning :rolleyespink:. I can remove the mulch and I have fleece if it gets very cold. It's a bit difficult to find time gor gardening as I'm quite busy with my art stuff. This month is likely to be my best chance for getting jobs done. I have to have lots of coasters, canvases and a few other things ready to deliver to the gift shops at beginning of March.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        luciusmaximus. Happy new year to you and yours. My Hon. Friend and forum Rose expert has advised you well. It can at times be somewhat disconcerting with plants and gardening. Perhaps for future reference, following the general advice of gardening princilples, leave the pruning until late winter/early spring. These are tried and tested methods. Truly, with the greatest respect. At time we can actually do more harm than good to our beloved plants. Late new growth can perhaps present problems. Trust me. Leave things alone. The winter so often helps us out by damaging/killing off weak growth.
        You mention fleece. I feel that so often this is used incorrectly. In the case of pot/container grown subjects. The container is what needs protection. In summer, a container wrap can be good. This helps to avoid the compost from getting too hot etc. In winter, a similar wrap will help to stop the compost from freezing solid. It is not always neccessary to protect the plant's upper growth. I wish you all the best, and look forward to more posts from you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,881
          Good morning @luciusmaximus my friend no worries your Rose will be fine,the advice in my initial post is only what I would do,its just the very severe prolonged frosts that do the damage,but Roses are very tough;):smile:

• Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,289
          Had one of these but it stopped being as floriferous in the fourth year and just went downhill after that, so I got rid. I treated it like a floribunda as I think these are essentially miniature ones. I would never feed or prune this time of year as I gather both would induce vulnerable soft growth. So feeding in very late February/early March immediately after pruning makes the most sense to me. :dunno:

Nick