1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Prediction wanted please: what will we eat in May? (June etc.)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Annemieke, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133

I write a monthly column in the local church mags (short version of Thought for Food) which lists, amongst other things, what veg is in season that month.
    This means that, by tomorrow's deadline, I have to tell them what we will be able to eat in May.
    I have a list of this, which has been the same year after year.
    However! 2013 is not like other years! Are all our vegetables a month behind? They certainly are here, now, in our garden.
    Shall I publish the normal April list for May, the May list for June, etcetera?

Your opinion is much appreciated. :please:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult one there, my cabbage that i'd been hoping to get florrets off has not recovered from the frost, still wilted.

Got Chives, Spring Onions, Rhubarb & Sorrel. Nothing else this year. Wild Garlic will be on the forrage list, as will Wild Leeks, but i'm not saying where they grow on an open forum [​IMG]

3. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    Do you mean spring cabbage or broccoli? They should not wilt with the frost, should they? :what:

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It was a 2 year old tree cabbage that another member sent me, I think it was something other than the frost that got it, possibly the cat using the bed next to it as a litter tray.

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,527
    Ok, I am not a vegg grower. so have no clue. BUT If Kale is in season in May or June you need to push that as the best food source going. Just look it up for the nutrition value. I made up a pot of it, the other day using very very little water, steamed it to half done, a sprinkel of salt and I really enjoyed it.
    This veggie is so packed with great stuff it is a shame it is not eaten just about every day. Actually just bought another bunch for this week.

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Publish what you should be eating, then write why that list is askew and then write what your likely to be eating instead.

Steve...:)

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,056
    My winter veg are at least a month behind 'normal', I think my spring greens will be ready in May along with kale.

8. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    Kale is bl**dy marvellous Redstar, I know, I know. We eat it most days in winter - which is the kale season in the UK. Kale in summer does not feel right, I don't know if it will even grow.
    Excellent idea Steve. Except for the little church mags which only give me 300 words!
    And thanks John, that is my feeling too.

9. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi-i don't envy you having to write about vegetables nowadays amid this changing weather !

• Agree Agree x 1