1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnant

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Phil A, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just been chatting on the other, other forum about impregnating logs with these,

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=1336

Just need some beechwood & might give it a go. I believe it takes 3 years to produce fruiting bodies.

Anyone know if apple wood would be any good, as i've got to severely prune a mature bramley for someone next week ?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Only one real way to find out Zig.:gnthb::old:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true Dai, could do one with beech & one with apple & another one with yew for certain death. :thumb:

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    Strange idea, how long do they take to mature and start producing?

Most beech logs that I've seen is already infested with fungus

5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Ziggy, you are not going to die by using apple. If anything, the flavour is going to be enhanced.:gnthb:

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Apple is cool, don't think there are any toxic roseacea, well, none that I can think of.

I only wondered if the mycelium would take hold in apple wood.

The yew impregnated logs would be good for Sussexgardeners, last supper, woodland garden though :wink:

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere it takes 3 years Pete, but if you did a stack every year then in 3 years you would have a succession of fruiting bodies.

The beech you've seen has probably fallen already, in which case its already under attack from slimey beech tuft, crampballs, angels wings & polypore.

I need to get some healthy beech logs & then make them unhealthy.

Once they start to fruit, then they will produce for 2/3 years or until Mr Badger decides to shred the logs for the beetle grubs within.

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    Is there any real evidence that because yew contains poisons, that those poisons would be transferred to the fungi.
    I think you need to test it out Ziggy:scratch:

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    And I can vouch that Pete said he`d eat them.:gnthb::D

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Jings Ziggy, I was thinking there was another wee Ziggy on the way.
    Now that would be great for the world. :gnthb:

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This is from another forum (one which i caught members of the other, other forum posting in)

by AtomicShrimp 17th June 2008 at 14:15

I asked about Chicken Of The Woods on Yew on another message board (one devoted to fungi) and got this answer:

There is a letter on this subject in The Mycologist May 1996. Author (Shelley Evans) quotes The Handbook of Mushroom Poisoning, Diagnosis and Treatment by Spoerke and Rumack (1995). They say 'The fungus is known to be toxic when growing on some species of conifer and on eucalyptus'. On this basis Shelley would not eat the fungus if growing on yew.

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Tee Hee Alice :hehe:

Just thought that title would get some attention :hehe:

No more Ziglets unfortunately, we're going for divorce. Don't know how to do it though, as neither of us can afford to buy the other one out.

32 years of grief is enough. I just want to grow food, produce renewable energy & cook, she just wants to play online computer games with teenagers & stay in with the blinds drawn.

Not going to work really is it.

The 3 existing ziglets are great though, you've seen Willow, Roland is now as big as me & working for my lime mortar suppliers part time, with the offer of a full time job when he leaves school. My eldest, Poppy, is doing ok in Bristol, bit university, bit doing tea tent at festivals.

Ooops just wandered off topic & blubed me heart out, sorry, trying times.

Lets get back to veg now:tnp::tnp::tnp:

13. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I wish you all the luck in your garden Ziggy.

Jon.

14. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Really sorry to read this Ziggy. You come across as a great, fun loving bloke so I'm sure it will work out for well for you.

I tweeted Heather Gorringe for you regards using Apple and this is her reply;

"@Das_uber_Dog need to use Hardwood if at all poss - apple not recommended - most growers use oak beech birch"

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    That surely opens a can of worms, as most people just go by the species when collecting mushrooms in the wild, or at least I thought thats how they did it.

Now it seems they should also take into account what it actually growing on.