1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing a new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by TonyD, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TonyD

TonyD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Forum , this is my first listing so please be gentle. I am in the process of landscaping my garden i am preparing the soil for lawn seed. My question is how can i stop practically every weed under the sun to stop coming through.
    I have been told to keep turning the soil with my rotovator i just can't destroy it any suggestions please?
    :ntwrth:

2. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446

How big is the area you're cultivating and which weeds are appearing? Attach a photo if you can.

A rotovator will just cut up any roots from perennials which will regrow quite happily. Not good if Dandelions, bindweed, creeping buttercup, ground elder or worse is present in the soil.

If you don't mind using chemicals you can use Glyphosate to kill the perennial weeds and their root systems then rake the soil to a fine tilth removing any stones and plant debris as you go then make your final preparations for sowing the seed later in the year with another spraying in the meantime if necessary.

If not then the best bet is to dig out any perennial weeds as best as you can, root and all. Hoe off any annual weeds on a dry, hot day then rake to a fine tilth whilst clearing debris.

If you wanted to use a rotovator you could, but you would have to spray the weeds, wait until they died, rotovate, wait for weeds to reappear, spray, wait until the weeds were dead, rotovate again, wait for the weeds to reappear... ...it could take a long time.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You'll never completely get rid of weeds, the seeds blow across your lawn and birds leave them behind. Obviously you want to get rid of as much as you can before you put grass seed down, but it's a question of effort and time.
    If you do get a few growing through then you can deal with them later. I've not seen a weed on my lawn for years, but that's only because it gets a "three in one" in the Spring and because I alternate between "weed n' feed" and "feed," through the growing months. They'd soon be back if I didn't, as they appear almost daily in the side beds and have to be pulled out. There's no permanent fix.

4. Rob Jones

Rob Jones Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've reseeded an established lawn that was very weedy mostly with dandiloin and large areas of moss. I let the weeds grow so they were easier to see and handle and dug them all out by hand. Hands and knees job but the best way of getting rid of them. I would suggest you leave it now to see where new weeds are growing and pick them out by hand getting all the roots.
    If you've broke the soil up it should be easier to get them out now rather than getting them out of compacted soil. After you do this Keep raking and remove all the roots you see
    You should get the vast majority of them up. Even after I painstakingly removed all the weeds I could see I've noticed there are still a few appearing through the new grass. It will just be a matter now of removing these when the grass is firmly rooted and can be walked on.