1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing to plant - old plants & weeds

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Julysunshine, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Julysunshine

Julysunshine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone,

So I’m fairly new to gardening, after living in our first house for a few years now We’re finally making a start on the garden (it currently looks like the amazon jungle!)
    I’m planning on building a few sleeper beds where there were previous plants and a wild amount of bineweed, I have cleared the areas of all the weeds and existing dead-ish plants but do you think I should use some sort of weed killer ?? There is nothing that I’m aiming to save so I’m not worried about that, I’m just worried this bineweed and old plants are just going to keep reappearing and of course once the beds are built it’s going to be harder to remove! I heard bineweed can be a nightmare! I also read that boiling water helps? Surely I’d need something stronger? I have two dogs and a 2 year old, not that he goes in the garden currently but don’t really want to use anything that could potentially harm the doggies ?

Your Thoughts would be great :)

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,605
    Welcome to the forum!

Pictures are always a great way to show what you're facing and helps others to offer suggestions. It's a reat group here. Enjoy your new gardening friends because we're not all weeds and watering, we're a fun lot too :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • Julysunshine

Julysunshine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Good idea, thank you. I will take some picture when I get the chance!

K x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,246