1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Preserving/saving garlic

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Fat Controller, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,511
    Since coming out of hospital, my tastebuds seem to have changed dramatically - my sweet tooth is just not there, or at least not to the same degree (and I had a really sweet tooth!), and I am going a bundle on savoury.

One of the biggest changes is garlic - before, I would only occasionally have garlic, but now I am really loving it; I am using garlic daily, or at least almost daily, so bought quite a large pack of it a few weeks back.

Now, it is getting to that point where it is still good, but you can sense that it is thinking about being past its best, and I still have about six or seven bulbs that I really don't want to waste, so I was wondering how best to preserve it?

I have got pickling vinegar available, although I am not sure that I have jars currently to hand to use - is pickling a good idea? If so, do I need to do anything in particular, or is just a case of peel them and whack them in with some sugar and salt?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Hello FC :) When my garlic is starting to sprout, I peel it, take out the green middle, chop finely and pack into ice-cube trays or small plastic boxes, then freeze. That way, it's all ready to use in recipes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,858
      Spread garlic cloves onto a baking sheet and freeze them for about 20 minutes. Transfer them to a good air-tight freezer container and keep stored in the freezer. They will keep for 8 to 12 months in the freezer. Use them in soups, salsas, etc. just as you normally use them.

• Like Like x 4
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,511
        Thank you both :)

I'll be honest, I was trying to think of something other that freezing - firstly because space is currently tight in our freezer, so even adding small stuff is likely to see it get freezer burn by being stuck up against the sides. That, and we have a habit of putting stuff like that in the freezer, forgetting about it, before discovering it at freezer gut out time and it then ends up in the bin.

I did consider drying it as I have a dehydrator, but wasn't sure that it would work or even be useful as a dried product, hence my thought about pickling. What about pickling it with chili slices?