1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure washer lifespan

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Fat Controller, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,513
    What would folks say is the expected lifespan of a pressure washer?

The powerspeed nozzle on my Nilfisk is knackered, and it would appear that a replacement is going to set me back around £35 plus carriage, and currently there is no date available as to when it might arrive (the nearest I have gotten to that answer was that I would get an email by 7th May telling me when it would come!) - indeed, many places show the nozzle as no longer being available, which is suggesting that the ones that are available are pattern parts, which in turn would account for them not looking the same as the current one.

I am also looking at the cost which is about a third of the price of a whole new machine with the various nozzles (or about 20% of the cost of a 'good' one) and considering that this machine is in fact around ten years old, and I am starting to wonder if I am at that point where I have to cut my losses and go for a new one. It seems really daft to have to do so for the sake of a busted nozzle, but then again is it wise to spend a chunk of money on a small part of an old machine that could die next week?

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,202
    Hi,

Also have a Nilfisk, about 10 years old, with accessories like the current ones below.

They say Nilfisk are one of the best on the market and ours seem ok, though it only gets used once or twice a years for a few hours.

Think you need to see what the rest of the parts are like, do the lances and nozzles clip on well, if the power water hose sound, ours is loosing its outer coating a bit as it rubs on the floor.
    Any signs of the pump motor overheating and needing to be rested.

Think its you have two or more parts that are in poor condition then its worth looking for a new one ?

000175.jpg

3. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    I'd agree - I replaced my karcher a couple of months back - one day the internal seals just gave way - it must have lasted about 10 years - but a bit of research - and Nilfisk came out on top - it has metal bits where the Karcher has plastic and they were the first company to branch out into the domestic pressure washer market apparently

Got my 110bar Nilfisk from Amazon for 79 quid including the decking attachment.

35 quid for a new bit for an old machine - or 79 quid for a new machine with warranty - the choice is yours as the compere used to say from the 'Sale of the Century' quiz show.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,202
    Just checked on our model, its a C120.2 y 2007 and still going good, the compact patio cleaner attachment is probably what we use most for cleaning the driveway and other flagstones etc, so much easier , quicker and much less messy than using the standard nozzles.

5. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    9EE53973-F985-49A0-82E7-83859B49D7E6.jpeg
    I use a Kranzle, mines pushing on a bit but it’s been a good machine and was worth every penny.

6. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,513
    Thanks all - I am now leaning toward a new one as I washed the car with mine today (I have a snow foam lance head for it which is simply amazing) and when I was putting it away I noticed that the pressure hose had a kink in it which suggests that it is failing internally (the rest of it is hard and would not bend to a kink) - so that would be a new hose and a new nozzle for a machine that has to be 8 years old if it is a day.

I would have another Nilfisk though, as it has been superb and has had a lot of use to be fair to it; I bought it originally having had three Karcher's fail in fairly quick succession (don't think I had more than two years out of any of them), so the Nilfisk is a vast improvement. I had a brief look at Kranzle earlier @Liz the pot - they look the dogs dangly bits, but they also have a price tag to match!

The fly in the ointment here is going to be my shredder woes which I will be posting separately about......

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,513
      Good news! I found a place selling a replacement nozzle and hose for a smidge over £30 delivered. An equivalent would be around £200 or so, so I think £30 is worth a punt even if I only get another year or two out of it.

• Like Like x 2