Pressure washer

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Janet mahay, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    Hi used to clean the patio with bleach and hard brush but latley i can only do so much then my back in agony
    A few of years ago i fell badly fell down the stairs and it seems to have got worse over the years so i have decieded to invest in pressure washer there seems many on market with some good reviews but one website says how good it is yet on another site it says about same one its terriable.i once bought a leaf blower off e bay and it said it was light yet i found it heavy so gave it to my daughter so not always reviews are trueful
    The pressure washer i am looking for has not got to be heavy,easy to operate and reasonable price i value your suggestions thanks

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Pressure washers are always likely to be heavy as they have a motor and a cylinder that has to be capable of withstanding pressure, so it'll be of heavy gauge steel. You can get them with wheels. They come with a long lance hose, so you don't have to keep moving it.

I have a pressure washer, which I used to use to clean the patio and paths. But now I use "Wet n' Forget" in a 5ltr pump sprayer, which does the job just as well in half the time. Just spray it on and leave it to do its work over a day or two. Gets rid of algae.

P1020394.JPG

P1020395.JPG

1 x 5L WET AND FORGET MOULD, ALGAE AND LICHEN REMOVAL 100% Original - FREE P&P 9419668000580 | eBay

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +609
      Thanks riley i have a pump spayer i used with hubby to spray the fence if i could use that or get one £7 or 8 from home bargains and a bottle of wet and forget it will save my back plus it would be much cheaper thanks for the link
      nice patio you got

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,301
        I have a very good pressure washer that is mainly of plastic construction but it's still heavy. Using a pressure washer when you have a bad back is OK for a small area but no good for a larger area.

I also use Wet And Forget (it's fairly expensive) and every two years or so need to use the pressure washer lightly to remove excess surface dirt. Not to remove algae and mould but to remove mud etc. that we tend to traipse over the paving.

Depending on how bad the paving is dictates how long the W&F takes to work.

This thread gives you an idea.

Patio, slab, concrete cleaner

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,078
        One of mines is a Nilfisk. Very good has a metal pump rather than a plastic like many.

Theres also lidl/aldi washers that appear that have the bonus of 3 year warranties.

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          I have a Nilfisk pressure wash as well. They are a touch heavy, but not half as much hard work as scrubbing with a brush.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,301
          My pressure washer is a Karcher and works much better than any other make I've had. I bought a heavy duty pressure washer about ten years ago and it didn't quite last a year. Had it replaced, free of charge, but needed to get help getting it into and out of the car. Its replacement also didn't last a year - nor did any of the next four!!! Various different faults :dunno:

This Karcher has given good service for the last four years :thumbsup:. It's considerably lighter than the others but works much better than all the previous ones. The price ticket was lower than the original one that I bought but it didn't cost me anything as all of them have been replacements for faults. :) Good service from the store - with a bit of pushing. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Ive a Kranzle Profi 160TST but it’s jolly heavy but on wheels and I’ve the Kranzle round head attachment.
            It’s a great machine and as the round head is light it’s a very easy and you stand upright.
            There’s 2 thoughts when it comes to using equipment that causes pain due to how it’s used. Do you go for a quality machine that does the job quickly so less stress or one that’s going to take much longer and the job might have to be done over several periods.
            There are cleaning products too but with a pressure washer you have to be careful not to damage the surface of the material you are cleaning. I demonstrated this to a customer where I used a head attachment and blew a hole on a road surface and cut a piece of timber in half, hence why I like to use the round head only as it’s a gentle action.

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411
            The problem with pressure washers in a small garden, is the volume of water.
            Our patio has low curtiledge walls and two sets of steps opposite each other. The walls have drainholes in them and can cope with normal rainfall. Any water "falls" towards the walls due to the way I laid the patio. It clears within minutes of it stopping raining. However, with a jet wash I constantly need my wet n' dry vac to clear the water. The other problem is has been mentioned, it can blast out bits of the grout between the crazy York stone. Then there's all the mess that bounces up off the paving onto any surrounding walls or fences.

I've shown photos of the results of using Wet n' Forget. This has a lasting effect on surfaces. But here are some more.

I did this.

P1020394.JPG

this

P1020389.JPG

this

P1020369.JPG

and this (it's green concrete, taken before I sprayed it, I did the base panels of the fence, the little concrete path around the front bay window and the lower bricks of the side of the house. too.)

P1020383.JPG

Using about half a 5lt container of Wet n' Forget.

I have got the hose attachment which came and I used with the one I bought a year ago, but it's wasteful. There's more control and economy with a pump pressure sprayer.

• Like Like x 1
            • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
              +172
              • Like Like x 2
              • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
                +609
                :bigthumb::thanks:

• Friendly Friendly x 1