1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

preventing damping off when growing seeds .

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mad mick-w, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mad mick-w

mad mick-w Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have an idea how to prevent "damping off" when sowing seed etc - I used to use cheshunts powder ( I fink thats woh its spellt)
    but cannot find anywhere that stocks it,

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, I bought a puffer pack from my local garden centre of a similar copper-containing powder made by Murphys. The Cheshunts is available mail order, eg:
    http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/product.asp?numRecordPosition=2&P_ID=4318&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=348
    but with postage it's a bit expensive unless
    a] you want other things
    b] you're desperate!
    I don't know any ways of preventing it other than keeping seed trays clean , and not re-using compost if you've had it. There are soil sterilisers available for the more well-off amongst us.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,963
    I know damping off can be a problem we all get from time to time, but it can be avoided as Liz said by using fresh compost and clean pots etc.
    Would like to add to that, that not too close an atmosphere helps, difficult when germinating seeds in the cold damp months that are coming up.
    So unless its something that really needs to be sown now, I'd wait.

4. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can sterilise smallish quantities of compost in the microwave. I also keep nematodes in the fridge, relax, its the alcohol fridge not the food one :D
    Years ago, when I was a chemist in the QA lab of an insecticide/weedkiller Co, we used to make cheshunts compound for our own use by grinding together, in a pestle and mortar, equal amounts of copper sulphate and washing soda crystals.

5. bubbly

bubbly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

As a newbie, could you explain what 'damping off' please?

thanks [​IMG]

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,963
    Damping off, bubbly, is when newly germinated seedlings suddenly wilt, keel over and die, for no obvious reason.
    Its caused by a fungus that thrives on the same conditions as the seedlings, therefore fugicides are the usual precaution to take, and best before the trouble starts in the first place. ;)

7. mad mick-w

mad mick-w Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everybody- I have a better understanding of what causes "damping off" so hopefully I can try to prevent it happening -
    Mad mick-w

8. bubbly

bubbly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see. Thanks for that Pete.