Primroses/Evening Primroses - Any and all help much appreciated

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by EmmaJane, May 8, 2020.

1. EmmaJane

EmmaJane Gardener

Software Developer
    Ratings:
    +435
    Hi Everyone :)

I am a new gardener and have some wild primroses and an evening primrose I'm trying to grow/not kill - I've had a go at looking up some info on them but it all seems contrary so I thought I would ask the experts. Apologies in advance if I come out with anything silly and please do have a giggle at me - I'm here to learn a new skill and if my muddling raises a giggle in others while doing so then that's a definite bonus lol.

They're all in patio planters with miracle-gro compost after being received via mail order. I have the wild primroses in what I think is dappled partial shade (they're under a small tree that gets full sun from dawn to around 2pm) and the evening primrose in partial sun (it gets full sun from dawn to about 13:30). Is this sensible or lunacy?

The wild ones appear to be okay so far (I read they were particularly difficult to kill so thought it a good one to start with) but the evening primrose is still looking a little sorry for itself - I think this may be due to my re-potting it twice since it arrived about three weeks ago (it got dug up by a nasty little brute of a squirrel and had a peanut buried in it so I moved it to a less rodent-strewn location) but wanted to be sure I had it in a good place now and that it should perk up with a little TLC and time, or if I'm setting it up to fail. Any suggestions on location/shade/watering would be very much appreciated :)

Kind Regards,
    Emma

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,376
    Right, for starters evening primrose is a totally different from the wild english primrose, perhaps that should be British primrose.
    That is a woodland plant that likes cool damp conditions and is basically a spring flowering plant.

Evening primrose I believe I'm right in saying is an American plant and there are some different species, but most flower mid summer, and, believe it or not.:biggrin:, late afternoon till early next morning.
    It also gets tall, depending on the species, and in my experience it hate root disturbance.
    Which might point out why its struggling a bit, but give it time.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • EmmaJane

EmmaJane Gardener

Software Developer
      Ratings:
      +435
      Thank you very much Pete - I will leave them all where they are and give the evening variety some time to settle in. Thanks for clarifying what's what with primroses, I was getting lost :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1