1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Printer Ink Secret - True or false ?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by HarryS, Jan 12, 2011.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    [size=medium]I have just had the link below mailed to me . It shows how to reset a print ink cartridge to make more ink available . Now does this work , or is it another web hoax ?:s
    As inkjet printer ink has a value approaching gold :@, I have not had a printer for 4 years. But I would love to know if anyone on here could try this reset trick ...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJQ1FQ68lU8
    [/size]

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    In some cases it is true. There is no sensor in the cartridge to say how much ink is left. It is an estimate based on how much you've printed. A chip in the cartridge records your use and estimates how much is left, and sometimes it is possible to trick it into reporting that it is full, so the printer will continue to work. Its not that the suppliers are trying to rip us off (whether they are or not I reserve judgment), its just that the level is not always reported accurately.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sorry I can't help you definitevly Harry.
    My son in law is a bit of a computer buff and I vaguely remember him wittering something about this.
    I will ask him and post the reply.
    My computer (on windows7 and Epson printer) tells me if I am low on a colour and asks if I want to mix a composite colour. Seems to work for a while.
    I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    Suck it and see.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,874
    Hi Harry I haven't heard of this before but ,I was given this advice once,If somethings sounds to good to be true,it usually is:) but on saying that(it could well be)
    I have a Cannon IP 3500 with 4 separate inks and I have found this very good with ink consumption and I only have to replace one colour at a time.But its passed its best now and I have to get a new Scanner/Printer very soon,but its like a mine field out there so I have a lot of Reviewing to do.:)

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Woo we have just bought this last weekend a new printer/scanner/ copier etc and it is the HP Photosmart Wireless All in One C310a from Comet and paid £89.99 for it.It has slots where you can put your memory cards from your camera into the machine and then can scroll through them before printing.

It was a pain to set up as Mr Kandy was trying to use Epsom paper and it didn't like the feel of the paper but once he had gone to W.H,Smiths to get the correct quality paper{HP}It has worked fine and we have already printed off some of my swan and Waxwing photos to send to family...

If you go and have a look at one make sure the slots take the cards that you use for your camera.

Good luck....

6. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,874
    Hi Kandy is the ink expensive and are the cartridges single or treble.Thank you:)

7. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Woo,there are three colours and two blacks{one ordinary black and one photo black whatever that means}We don't know about prices of the cartridges as we haven't looked into the price of them yet but you might get a good deal on ebay or perhaps Amazon.....

8. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,874
    Hi Kandy thank you very much appreciated my friend,I will go and Google the HP C310:)

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just some general comments regarding printers based on my own experience.

Epson - I've had two photo printers, the quality was very good but both tended to dry out and clog if unused for two or three weeks. I did try covering with a plastic sheet and damp sponge but it didn't work on the second printer and it got the heave-ho. Price of ink was fairly high and I tried after-market cartridges that required swapping the little pcb but it didn't work!

HP - Son has one and while it was cheap to buy (special deal about 8 months ago in Tesco) though the running cost is fairly high.
    I did have an A3 HP at work and the quality of photo printing was excellent. I've an A3 print on the wall here at home that I did about 6 or 7 years ago on plain paper and it's still in great condition.

Canon Pixma IP 5200
    - As good if not better for photo quality than the Epsons I had and cheaper to run.

Samsung ML-1915 Mono Laser
    - As both student son and I do a lot of document printing which is expensive on a colour inkjet I bought this mono laser printer last August. It is much much cheaper to run and though it may appear extravagent to have two printers, the lower running costs mean we don't really have to think twice about printing text or documents. Its also very fast compared with an inkjet.

Combi Printer-Scanners - The problem with these is that there are two units to break down and if one goes you have to buy a whole new machine.

The Reset Button - That's an Epson in Harry's video. Not all printer cartridges have that facility.

10. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,874
    Good morning Dave so what would you personally reccomend ?:)

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi Woo
    Well just going on my own experience and without doing research into the current state of the market, ig my inkjet broke I'd go for another Canon Pixma. I'm getting very good results and if I print from RAW or TIFF the printed images are just about a bang on match with the screen images.

12. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,874
    Good morning Dave thank you for that :thumbsup: ,I will go for another Pixma then,the one its going to replace is a Canon Pixma IP 3500 and its been an excellent printer for a long time and having separate ink cartridges its the most economical way to go in my experience:)

13. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    A tip from Choice Stationery: Do a head clean but don't print, leave the printer switched on overnight and print in the morning. It always worked for me, may work on other makes of printer.
    As I now use a Linux OS, HP printers are the best supported for our system. I also use a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2400W laser which at 2400dpi is the best colour laser I've seen for photo's.
    Unfortunately, Canon are the least well supported printers for our system. I can't understand why any maker would want to limit their sales.
    I also support this comment, I have an HP Laserjet 1020, mono lasers are now reasonable in price and running costs, they are also much faster for mass printing. Another advantage over inkjet is that the print is waterproof.

14. smjg

smjg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Epson Stylus SX115 - a cheap model but it does seem to get through cartridges like crazy! They are the T089x (Monkey) line - and look almost the same as the cartridge in the video but don't have that reset hole. Any ideas?

15. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,874
    Hi Smjg sorry I cannot answer your question my friend,I am sure someone will be along shortly to give you an answer.I have recently purchased the new Kodak 5250/will let you know how long the ink cartridge,s last.:)