1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Privet leaf are they poisonous

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Spruce, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,321
    Morning All,

I have been asked if Privet leaves are they poisonous to fish if too many have fallen in the pond 6 x 8 size ....

Spruce

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Yes @Spruce they say Privet leaves and berries are toxic to pond fish.. :hate-shocked:

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Ratings:
      +12,321
      I will tell her Monday when I am back in work ... the fish are dieing .... best she nets the pool from Autumn onwards to catch the leaves ... its a boundary hedge.

Spruce

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Yes defo Spruce if it isn’t a wildlife pines might be inclined to drain it now get all the dead leaf matter and sludge which will be the decaying leaves and berries out and refill and start again and then net come the Autumn to stop the next lot. If the frogs have spawned then I might be inclined to leave it and let them take pot luck as they are tougher than fish..

I know Autumn is the best time to empty your pond but if her fish are still dying I personally would do it now..

• Useful Useful x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,969
        I've had all kinds of leaves fall in my pond over the years,(not been cleaned out since 1989), must admit not likely to be privet, but other nasties mainly from my aesculus that is supposed to be toxic to fish.
        Does privet actually drop that many leaves, assuming its clipped hedging?

I find if fish are going to die they do it around now, spring, they are very low at this time of year after a long winter, so are susceptible to all kinds of diseases.

• Like Like x 1
        • Spruce

Ratings:
          +12,321
          In a hard winter they can lose all the leaves and it does tend to drop a lot in the Autumn ... its not clippings ..

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,969
          Tends to be evergreen here, only ever known privet drop its leaves once or twice here.
          I do know evergreens do drop leaves, but I'd be very surprised if you were getting enough to poison a pond.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1