1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Privet Pruning....guidance needed...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Garden Ghost, May 11, 2005.

1. The Garden Ghost

The Garden Ghost Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5ft high privet and I want to cut it down to 3ft, is there any risk that the hedge will die and can I use my electric trimmer or will I need something more heavy duty?

If it is possible when is the best time to do it and how long will it take to grow back from being baldy?

2. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    HI
    about three years ago this summer we took two foot from the top of our privet and eighteen inches from the width we hired a powerfull petrol hedge trimmer to do it, although a small saw was also required for the thicker branches. This year we will get the full benefit from the work as the hedge is looking better than it ever did.
    Now would probably be the best time before the growing season starts.
    hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Toptaff

Toptaff Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In a word...No!
    It's really unlikely that you'll kill it. I've hacked back many areas of overgrown privet..the last one yeilding some handy 10' poles....from 15'+ tall, ie: huge,arching overhangs of canopy foliage which I hacked back(with no finesse,I might add)in April & already it is greening up & I've statred to 'top' the new shoots to make them thicken.
    It's reasonably easy to cut,as the wood is quite brittle.

4. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My mum hacked hers down from ridiculously high to reachable and it survived the ordeal. Hope this is encouraging! [​IMG]

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garden Ghost
    Privet is as tough as old proverbials! You can do it now (RSPB advice is to wait until June for any birds to have fledged) Use loppers for thicker branches, & a pruning saw or axe for bigger ones. Don't go near a chain saw unless you have been trained & have full safety gear, other wise a trimmer etc is fine. Do it in stages & give it a feed after if you want best results. I have been renovating 600 metres of hedge on my allotments bit by bit since last summer (even over winter) & used the above tools + shears - (not the chain saw!) - It's a good way of getting rid of pent up frustrations :mad: + remember if you cut it in a straight line downwards, any bare bits at the bottom will be shaded out by overhanging shoots, try to cut an "A" profile if possible. Have fun [​IMG]

6. The Garden Ghost

The Garden Ghost Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I'll pick my moment and hack away - like the sound of an axe after a hard week, I've checked the hedge for nests and none there, next door's cat would probably see to that anyway.