1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem around crown

Discussion in 'Roses' started by CostasK, Feb 19, 2022.

1. CostasK

CostasK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi,

I have a DA rose that I planted last year ("Emily Bronte"). Several months after planting it, two branches broke off near the crown and I noticed the the area was quite woody & brittle. The same happened yesterday with another large branch, after the wind we have been having.

I haven't experienced this with any of the other roses I have, so I wonder if it is a disease that's causing the base of the branches to become brittle. And - being an amateur gardener myself-I can't distinguish if this could be a case of crown gall, or something else, or whether it might actually be normal for some roses. Could you help please?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    @CostasK I don't think it is crown gall. Either way as the rose was only planted last year (presumably that was also when it was bought) I would contact DA and discuss with them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • CostasK

CostasK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +22
      Thank you very much Nigel. I hope you are right as I love this rose & it seems to be doing alright, excluding this issue. Good idea, I will email them and ask for advice.