1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

problem with my callistemon

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by flowerpotty, Jun 5, 2008.

1. flowerpotty

flowerpotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a bottlebrush citrinus splendens which i planted last April in a south facing border. During early March the leaves started turning pinr then brown before falling off. I have fed it but to no avail. I have read the plant is hardy down to - 5 celcius and is not effected by many pests and diseases. There is a large geranium growing in front of it Johnsons Blue i think. Could this plant be out competing the bottlebrush for moisture and nutrients when it started growing? Is it best to add an ericaseous compost around the bottlebrush to help the plant. Any thoughts?

2. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Flowerpotty,

I have a Australian Bottle Brush too :) to be honest out in Aussie they are classed as weeds. I never cut mine back or feed it. It is watered sparingly and thats about it. It is used to dry conditions in its natural habitat and I basically i just ignore it. It could be your soil type maybe?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,900
    I dont think a geranium could out compete a bottle brush.

It maybe that it got a bit too cold in the winter, how cold does it get there.

I dont think they like chalky soil but also I dont think it needs to be particually acid.

Strongy is the man on bottle brushes, I'm sure he will pick this up.

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,468
    Hi Flowerpotty, Callistemons are usually tollerant of most soils, mine is solid clay and I have no problem but I don't advise adding ericaceaous compost as they are not particularly acid loving. Citrinus Splendens is one of the less hardy and does suffer from the cold, it cannot take -5c for long, I lost one years ago in a cold winter(even here) which is why I have the hardier ones.
    A plant suffering browning and leaf drop like yours would normally be put down to being too dry after planting but with the rain we have had this winter/spring I wouldn't have thought that was the problem. I wouldn't have given it feed either. Has it produced any new growth ?

5. flowerpotty

flowerpotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for the advice, i don't think it has put on any new growth since last year, maybe the cold has got it or the soil is too dry.