1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with my Chilli Seedlings

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Will Dunkerley, May 8, 2005.

1. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never tried chillis or peppers before, so I thought I'd give it a go this year. The chillis are coming up nicely, but this morning a couple of the seedlings were drooping over. They are just starting to develop secondary leaves, so I wondered if the problem might have been that the thin stems couldn't handle the extra weight - this kind of makes sense because the leaves close up at night, making the seedlings taller / heavier in the morning.

For now I've shored them up with extra compost, but does anyone have any ideas what else might be causing this?

2. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to add - they are kept in a greenhouse in direct sunlight, and the temperature got as high as 110f yesterday. I know they aren't drying out, and the basil and everything else in there is coping fine - I would have thought the basil would be the first to show signs if it was temperature related, but I've really got no experience with greenhouse growing [​IMG]

3. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been growing chillis for about three years now ,I'm not an expert by any means but I have had a similar problem in the past I thought maybe the soil just got to hot damaging the root which might make the plant droop over. Hope this is of some help.

C

4. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's definitely helpful, thanks dalbuie. The roots weren't that well developed when I moved them to larger pots, so that might well be the cause - I'll have to look for somewhere cooler.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    Will, when I went in my greenhouse this morning my capsicum plants were also limp and bent over, they perked up later though.
    I wounder if its to do with very high daytime temps. followed by fairly low night temps.