1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Acer Palmatum (bloodgood)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by richcambs, Mar 28, 2011.

1. richcambs

richcambs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I have a japanese Acer (palmatum) i bought mid summer 2 years ago, its been fine ever since it was planted but at the moment is showing no sign of life, no leaves or anything, I though maybe I was just being too eager but i would have expected to see some sign of life by now as its nearly April.

Ive also noticed that some of the braches have gone completely white in places, Ive searched on line and couldnt really find any help , does anyone have experience with these and has it died =(

I read somewhere about feeding it with Fish blood or bone meal so i put some down last week but it still no sign of anything leaves, or any growth, i know its been a particularly harsh winter this yeah but most other things seem to have survived .

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Hi, the branches/twigs that are white are definately dead. I live in Scotland and at quite a high altitude but all my Acers (don't have bloodgood tho) are showing signs of growth here now. The easiest was to tell if if hasn't made this last awful winter is to scape back a little of a branche's bark. If it peels easily and is green underneath you are in business, if it is very hard to peel and is pale brown colour underneath then not go. Keep working your way back the branches as it may well be the older parts are ok and it is only last year's (ie more tender) growth that hasn't made it. I had Bloodgood in another garden. It survived a bad winter but was an older specimen. Hope it isn't for the compost heap!

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I've got a 4 year old Acer Bloodgood and it suffered die-back quite badly 2 winters ago, so last winter I covered it in thick fleece and it has survived nicely. I also have Emerald Lace which has suffered die-back quite badly but is budding out - it'll have a double covering of fleece next year. It is just producing leaves, anyway.

Acers need protection from the biting winters we've suffered over the last 3 winters and they hate cold winds, that's what does the damage.

It'll be interesting to see how the Emerald Lace reacts to the prune it's going to need to cut out the die-back.

4. richcambs

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice chaps, I will go out and check it when im next at home in daylight and see how its looking

5. richcambs

Ratings:
    +0
    update:
    HAve been out to look at the tree today, the main stem is easy to peel and green underneath as are some of the branches, even one of the branches which is white at the join with the stem had green underneath it further along the branch,....
    So maybe theres hope, still no sign of any leaf growth tho, maybe it will be late or maybe not get leaves this year, maybe thers time.......
    if it survives I'll make sure next winter its covered up ...