1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Projects to encourage young children into gardening

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by "M", Jan 30, 2013.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Possibly could have been posted in the book section, but putting it into Beginners because it's aimed at young children.

Stumbled across this in Google Books:
    Green Thumbs: A Kid's Activity Guide to Indoor and Outdoor Gardening
    It shows "preview" pages of the book (so, you don't actually have to buy it ;) ) but you do get to see approx 15 projects which may, or may not, inspire you and your young gardening apprentice :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Some of the activities shown border on science rather than horticulture.

The making of Easter baskets, sprouting pig and bulb bowls etc are classic, surefire winners.

I like the efforts to increase general garden awareness, such as recording sounds.

The cucumber in a bottle would be great fun, except it's the end product of horticultural effort, rather than the beginning.

Looking at the contents list, the book does have quite a bit of emphasis on basic skills of gardening - cuttings, seeds, pest control etc - which i think is really important.

The main problem of gardening with children is not the doing, but the keeping going: the watering, the shading, the hardening off, the pricking out, the choosing the right moment for the next procedure. It's hard to express all that in a handy, easy to follow, bite-sized chapter book.

• Like Like x 2
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Interesting observations, as always, Madahhlia :)

Quite, but, it's a start and it's a book I would have bought when my children were younger had I known about it. As for the "keeping going", I think that's the main problem with children in far more areas than just gardening :heehee:

• Like Like x 2