1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Prolific 'weed' in veg bed

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by geoffd, Jun 1, 2020.

1. geoffd

geoffd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a prolific 'weed' that has appeared in my raised veg bed that I do not recognise. It is all over a 5 metre raised bed and I am sure nothing seeded in that bed last year that could be responsible. I did grow green manure in the bed over winter but that was a mixture of rye grass and tares. I have also used 6X pelleted chicken manure. Could it have come from that?

A plant id app decided it was a potato but I can confirm there is nothing attached below. In fact it is very easy to pull up which makes me think it can't be a weed but I would love to know what it is and where it might have come from.

IMG_20200531_155040539_HDR.jpg

The seedlings are quite distinctive, starting off with two triangular leaves as seen in the photo below.

IMG_20200531_155056312.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Looks like a member of the Nightshade Family (of which the potato is one).

Solanaceae - Wikipedia.

Didn't have any Cape Goosberries last year by any chance?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
      • geoffd

geoffd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        What a brilliant suggestion! I did grow a Cape Gooseberry for the first (and only) time 2 years ago in the polytunnel and it went huge so I did take it out. I don't remember but I must have put it in the compost heap and, again don't remember but, must have used some of the compost on that bed.

When I think of the attention I gave it when I was growing it. Little did I know I could have just thrown it in the ground.

Thanks so much