1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

propagation day/ night temperature

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by IGraham, Jan 1, 2015.

1. IGraham

IGraham Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hello

Seed propagation

I'm about to construct a control system for my propagator – which at the moment is just on or off.

I'll be using an Arduino (a microprocessor bit like the Raspberry Pi but simpler) to regulate the temperature and a fan.

However a possible extra is doable, prompted from two sourses. The first was looking at someone elses propagator project and the second the instructions on a packet of banana seeds states best results achieved if regulating the day/ night temperature – and gives the temperatures.

Using the Arduino regulating the day night temperature isnt a problem

This is a new one to me, the banana instructions give a temperature range but I was wondering about other seeds, will other seeds give better germination and what sort of overnight temp drop (range ?) would be good. Will seedlings respond to such a regime.

Does anyone already do this, have any info on this or thoughts on the subject.

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Graham , I think the majority of us with heated props just leave them on. Mine is a simple ON/OFF prop , that will heat the seed trays to about 5°c above ambient temperature . Others will have the thermostatically controlled types of prop . I presume that a day-night temp difference would be a more natural germination cycle . Not sure if it makes a huge difference though. Probably best to Google this . Some USA university's have very detailed reports on germination , so detailed I don't understand them :snork: I think its Minnesota... not sure though.

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Some seed of the South African bulbous plants appreciate a day/night temperature variation.