1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Propagation problems

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Thomas coomber, May 7, 2012.

1. Thomas coomber

Thomas coomber Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The soil in my seed trays is going green and some seedlings are either dying or not showing any sign of growth. It's my 2nd year growing and the first time ive experienced this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank, thomas

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner:sign0016:

Same problem as in the Bean thread, compost staying too damp due to the lack of warmth & sunshine by the sounds of it.

We're all up against growing conditions that are more like late feb than early may:sad:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I've started bringing some of my seedlings back from the greenhouse and indoors to try and encourage them. As Ziggy says it's been too cold and damp. Go easy on the watering and move the seed trays around in the tunnel so they all get their fair share of what little sun there is.

4. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,182
    Hi there Thomas. Welcome to the slightly worried GC clan. We will all be a barrel of laughs again once it warms up. Then - what larks dear Pip, what larks!! ( courtesy of Mr C Dickens). Mother nature will see us all alright - you just wait and see,
    Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 1
    • Thomas coomber

Thomas coomber Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks, I will fetch them back I doors onto the window sill in the morning.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Some thoughts:

Water from the bottom, not the top.

Use tap water, not rain (Rain water will be fine/better once the seedlings are under way)

Perhaps cover the seeds (initially) with Vermiculite, rather than compost

Maybe mix some Perlite /sharp sand / etc. in with the seed compost - if it isn;t very fine & free draining in the first place