1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Propagators

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Jul 12, 2015.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    Hi all. Raining & windy so spending time just browsing the web on garden products. I was going through Elliot & West heated propagator section and came across the Vitopaod which as we know has good reviews but expensive.

Further on was the Monotop propagator which I think is made by E/W. This one is interesting as it incorporates 2 T5 lamps in the propagator lid, very neat. Same price as small Vitopod using the same thermostat control but with addition of 2 lights built in. The Vitopod lid seems better made for drainage of excess moisture and is slightly bigger. No problem with the Monotop if putting in individual small cutting but not sure it takes 2 full size trays.

Vitopad more versatile as you can add to the height + if you have separate lighting you can also vary the height.

Just came across Greenhouse Sensations who sell the Unopod propagator which is exactly the same as E/W, so who makes them I do not know.

Another interesting one which goes against all that I have read is the Greenhouse Sensations Hydropod Cuttings Propagator. It sprays a mist on the base of the cutting which has no roots to start off with, the base of the cutting seems cut off from the top of cutting via foam inserts. In their short video is shows someone planting a coleus cutting but has roots to start with which is ok.

If a cutting has no roots to start with which is normal I have read that you need to spray mist the leaves or create a humid atmosphere via a propagator lid, plastic bag or something similar. It is the leaves that take in moisture to start with until roots have formed. As I say this is only what I have read and not put into practise but have emailed Greenhouse Sensations to ask the question.

Also looking on Growell site and they have their T5 grow light directly laying on top of propagator and someone asked the? Will the lights burn plastic and they replied no!! They sell T5HO tubes which are High Output tubes, more light for the same wattage.

Not looked at heated props for about a year now and a lot of new innovations are around. Wondering if LED lights have improved over the last year as far as price & power are concerned.

Just some ramblings from a bored frustrated gardener

• Informative Informative x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,361
      When we do cuttings we just stick them into a glass of water, leave them on the kitchen worktop, until they produce roots. :noidea: :blue thumb: Works every time :hapydancsmil:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
        +279
        To be honest Shiney we also use the glass of water method to great effect. It seems in some instances the more technical you become the more failures you get ,apart from the amount of money you spend.
        Always been one to look at the more advanced technical way of doing things although rarely put any of it into practice,the wallet & the missus gets in the way,only joking.Well about the missus anyway ,she will support me if I want to do something but has this knack of of pointing out how pointless it would be. As the computer jargon goes she is a good firewall to expensive fads.:)

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,560
          I think Mrs Trogre is right. :) I've never covered cuttings with anything and if they won't grow in water or soil without mollycoddling then I don't see the point of bothering. Once again it's manufacturers trying to make fast money by ripping off those with little gardening experience and/or cash to spare. :doh:I have a straight forward small electric propagator that I use for germinating seeds early in the season and production is by rotation, sowing date or the length of time seedlings take to grow.

It also seems to have become 'fashionable' to cover pots with plastic bags for germinating and growing cuttings. Why? It wasn't necessary a few years ago. Seeds and plants were growing quite happily before we came along and interfered with them.

• Like Like x 1