1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Propogated a rose - it's flowered after 3 months

Discussion in 'Roses' started by pommers123, Aug 12, 2022.

1. pommers123

pommers123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hello,

I took a cutting from an old shrub rose in my garden in late spring this year. It rooted well, and I've kept it in a shady but fairly light and sheltered spot. It's started putting on growth at an amazing rate, and after about 3 months (tops) has put out a flower.

I'm very very new to this, from what I've read I thought that cuttings don't flower until the following year.

I have a few questions if that's ok:
    • Is it flowering this early ok?
    • Should I be removing any buds to get it to grow more first?
    • Should I plant it in the ground soon-ish, or keep it sheltered from now and over winter, and then plant out next spring?
    Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,685
      Welcome Roses.jpeg

... and well done! It would be useful if you could let us know your location as that would assist knowing what is best for your rose.

• pommers123

Ratings:
      +11
      Thanks Victoria :)

Yes location would help! I'm in the UK, South East coast.

The original rose is in a South Facing border, gets the sun from morning till about 3pm.

The cutting is in a smallish pot, in a sheltered spot. Shaded (but still fairly bright) until about 4pm, when it gets a a couple of hours of late afternoon sun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,448
        Details please:) I'd love to replicate your success. We have an old rose bush out the front. I dislike it if I'm honest, but we know the lady who as a child grew up in the house we now own. The rose has been there since she was a kid and it has sentimental value to her. Because of that I can't bear to rip it out (I'd have no chance of getting its roots out so I'd just have to chop it down and keep doing so if it came back). I'd love to get a cutting off it to give to her, then I'd have no guilt if I destroyed the original.

• pommers123

Ratings:
        +11
        I watched a Monty Don vid on how to :smile:

• Took the cutting and stuck it in a container of water
        • Filled a pot with compost (nothing special in terms of compost, it was just whatever was on offer at the garden centre)
        • Dipped the end of the cutting in rooting powder
        • Made a hole in the compost with my finger sprinkled a bit of rooting powder in there
        • Put the cutting in
        • Watered it

I'm not the best at remembering to water every day, but I haven't let it dry out.

Good luck with yours! I'm so chuffed with this little baby, very excited :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
          Ratings:
          +6,780
          I always thought roses had to be grafted onto rootstock.

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,373
          upload_2022-8-12_15-38-14.png and we'll done @pommers123 , the joys of gardening and one of many proud achievements to come I'm sure. :)

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,373

No Jocko not at all, although some people do. Much too faffy for me,!

After my Dad passed away 2 years go( last parent) and before selling my parents home of 50 years I took cuttings from loads of plants including a lot of the roses.

I just did exactly what @pommers123 did and they all rooted beautifully.:dbgrtmb:

My Mum was a very keen and knowledgeable gardener and had a garden full of stunning plants,sadly some didn't do so well during the 15 year period between losing her and my Dad., bless him he was awarded top marks for trying though by the family.:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • pommers123

Ratings:
            +11
            Thanks Upsydaisy!

And Jocko, seems not - as I said, I'm new to this, but so far so good with just popping it in a pot...

My gut feeling on this baby is that the extreme heat we've been having recently has possibly made it grow a bit fast a bit quick, and skip straight on into flowering, where perhaps usually things would be a bit slower.

I think I'll let this flower do its thing, then I'll nip out any others so it can put its energies into growing rather than flowering.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
              Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
              Ratings:
              +6,780
              I'll have to give it a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                +438
                92A654F0-2787-4FAE-B820-2D9D526EB01D.jpeg

This thread is really useful to me as I have a rose tree grown from seed about three years ago, that has survived me doing things it would have preferred not. This year it has had four beautiful deep purple flowers and from those is forming hips, and is now producing plenty of fresh new shoots and leaves. I don't want to disturb it by taking cuttings this year, I will probably take cuttings from it next spring as I would love to be able to give a rooted cutting in a pot to a friend.

This morning I noticed its new leaves are a bit yellow between the green veins, so I gave it a feed of Maxicrop Seaweed plus Sequestered Iron.

It is in a fairly big pot for the time being, in a shady area that gets some sun, where it and other roses seem quite happy. At some point I will have to put it in a bigger pot and maybe moved to a very sunny area. The friend I want to give the rooted cutting in a pot to has a very sunny garden, full sun all day.

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Aug 13, 2022