1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed Bottle Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Platanoides, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Platanoides

Platanoides Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to plant up two large bottles as 'bottle gardens'.
    Any advice about suitable plants, compost, addition of charcoal etc would be appreciated.

Platty

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  3. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Platty good to see you and hope youre well. I had a bottle garden years ago til one of the girls pushed something into it and broke it - I always loved it and have often thought of making another one so am very interested in this!

Thanks for the link H

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Platty,
    here is some advice:

glass container to be used has to be transparent or light green, preferably with an opening large enough for your hands - or you will have to operate like a surgeon when the moment comes to put the plants in.
    The bottle, tools, eventual decorations etc have to be sterilised prior to use.

1) with the help of a paper funnel, insert some gravel at the bottom of the bottle

2)insert some compost

3)press the compost gently with the help of a pointed stick and a cork

4) remove the cork, dig some holes for the plants

5)put the plants in. You can use some long tweezers, a stick with a ring etc.

6)make sure they are properly set.

As for maintenance, it is really easy to take care of plants in a glass because the humidity is kind of "enclosed" in a small area, so you need to water them very little.
    When you water the plants position the stick at the base of the plant and let the water flow.
    Avoid direct sun.
    As for the species of plants that can be used:

dieffenbachia, ficus pumila, peperomia, saintpaulia, all type of ferns, kalanchoe, moss,
    The compost used doesn't have to be too rich, as the plants would have preferably to grow slowly.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Sounds interesting - and a great link HB - and good info, MF - might have a shot. I've always believed that one of the problems is keeping the glass clean.....

6. Platanoides

Platanoides Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your views and ideas on this topic. A particularly good link HB --much appreciated.

Both are carboys so it will be the 'keyhole surgery' approach that will need to be taken. I will post a pic when the deed is done.

Probably tracking down suitable plants will be the hardest job but it gives me and excuse ( as if I needed one)to visit garden centres.