1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Protecting an evergreen hedge over winter

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by 280807, Oct 29, 2011.

1. 280807

280807 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can anybody give me any advice for protecting an evergreen hedge over winter? I have a hedge of Griselinia Littoralis which is about 100ft long. It has been planted for 20 months, the shrubs vary from 4ft tall to 6 ft tall, it is protected on one side by a 5.5 ft fence but it is open at the other side so will get all the wind and weather that comes from the West. Last winter some of the shrubs were frost damaged, we only lost 1 or 2 although some had to be cut back because some leaves and branches didn’t make it. I have read reports that we are going to have another harsh, cold winter, so I was wondering if anybody can advise how I can protect my Griselinia Littoralis hedge over winter. Any help will be very much appreciated and I thank you in advance for any advise.

Thanks

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,566
    If it was a mature hedge then it would probably hold it's own against the weather, but as you say being young it is best to give it some protection.

The only way I can suggest and I've seen it locally, is to put stakes up along it's length and pin or staple a fine meshed netting to it, it will let the air through but keep the worst of the weather off. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Go to your local garden centre and see if they`ll do you a good discount on 100ft of frost fleece.:thumbsup: Which part of the country are you? Welcome to the site by the way.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1

280807 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi, I live in the North West. Thank you for your advise, and for the welcome to the forum, I am looking forward to getting lots of useful advise and tips.

I have also had advise to cover the border around the base of the shrubs and the roots with a layer of mulch or fallen leaves. Do you think this is good advise?
        Thanks again.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,077
        Yes mulching is a very good thing to do. Cover the soil with a 2 inch layer around your shrubs or cover the whole border if your budget allows.Mulch provides some protection against the frost and improves the soil structure.

• Like Like x 1