Prune 3yr Old Laurel Hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Barry79, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Barry79

Barry79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

How and when would you recommend I prune a Common Laurel hedge that I planted a few years ago? I wish for it to reach a height of 6ft. I have attached a picture. The highest plant is about 6ft the lowest around 3ft. What feed would you recommend to maximise growth this year?

Thanks,
    Barry

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,134
      I'll give this thread a bump only to say "I have no idea" :noidea:

I personally think laurel is a rather dull plant if it's not used for cooking but different tastes for different folks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,318
        Hi

I would level off to 4 feet right across till it all catches up with each other ....

Remove any grass at the base so the laurel is not competing for food and water ...

I would imagine with the irregular growth they haven't been watered regularly during the summer/s as they are only young plants .... so some have struggled ....

blood fish and bone applied now will cheer them up and do the same feeding each spring but I would make sure you water during the summer months ... once established they will be fine ..

i SEE you have a main road opposite so these will create good cover and stop the noise

Hope that helps

Spruce