1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning a very very spindly magnolia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by abbaye, Mar 17, 2014.

1. abbaye

abbaye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I am new here so hello everyone!

We have a very very spindly magnolia which was planted about 8 years ago next to a privet hedge. The hedge over time has swamped the magnolia and the magnolia has grown very tall, thin and spindly.

We have finally removed the hedge in the last few weeks and we now want to give the magnolia some tlc. As its trunk is so tall we have supported it but we don't want to have to support it forever so want to ask if it is possible to take some action now to re-shape it in a way that will make it "fill out" in time, forming a stronger, thicker trunk.

The central trunk is very thin and tall and there are just two main side shooting branches with several other branches off those. It is currently flowering.

I guess in a nutshell I am asking for pruning advice to bring this tree back to the structure a magnolia should be. I dont want to harm it in any way.

Many thanks

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Hello and welcome to GC. When the magnolia's finished flowering, take the plunge and cut the side branches hard back, perhaps to within 12" of the trunk. Then give it a treat of Blood, Fish and Bone fertiliser and preferably a generous mulch of organic matter 3" deep for a diameter of 3' but not touching the trunk. It should form a decent crown this year and the trunk will thicken up now the competition is removed.