1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning back Roses in Sept - how to do this

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Passport1, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi
    Have number of Rose plants in my garden as per attached pics
    I read article at weekend advising around mid-end Sept time to prune back or cut back the Roses

I have no idea how to do this or if i should even attempt this with these plants (afraid i might kill them) or where on the stems i should prune them, how i should do this and how low to ground i should prune them

Advise;Thoughts;Suggestions
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Passport, it is too early to start pruning roses properly. Some gardeners will prune roses in early Winter but normally only to tall roses where wind rock could damage them. Some gardeners will, however, properly prune a rose in Winter while some will prune them around March.:coffee:

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,725
    • Like Like x 1
    • Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
      +22
      Thanks for the replies and the advise. As you can see from the pictures some of the Rose plants have grown quite tall and others have leaves growing all over place and Ive had to stake them all to give them extra stability and protection from the weather and the wind. Is it ok to cut off excess leaves/branches at this time to trim/tidy them up or should i leave them alone until next spring

Also are my Roses Climbing Roses, Standard Roses or Bare Root Roses or some other type
      Thanks

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      To avoid wind rock damaging the plants you can cut them down by, say, a third. However, strange as it seems a lot of roses will flower at this time of year.....I take it none of yours are???:scratch: I would, personally leave them for another month at least before pruning if you're determined to do so. You shouldn't be to ambitious in pruning when you do, just take off enough to stop them rocking in the wind. Do you get a lot of high winds where you are??? Woo is our acknowledged rose guru and expert and his advice is, I believe, the best you will get.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,725
        Good morning Passport :) not to much to add as our good friend Armandll's advice who's rose knowledge is sound;)

Yes it is perfectly fine just to tidy them up but as Armandll suggests please leave them another month,and please don,t get carried away with your Secateurs just make sure that they are spotlessly clean and sharp my friend and please mind your Finger's:)

• Like Like x 1