Pruning evergreen Ceanothus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Jun 24, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I have some Evergreen Ceanothus which for up here in Scotland have grown incredibly well. They are 1 of the tougher varieties (Concha) with small leaves. Currently they are completely smothered with flowers and looking fabulous tho I say it myself!
    The snag is 1 is growing out across the driveway so is getting in the way and another is growing into a very nice Tree Peony.
    I have a feeling they dislike being pruned? Ideally I would like to prune both back by about 2 feet after they have finished flowering, but not sure if they will then not sprout again. Hope someone can advise who has experience of these shrubs. Thanks.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,966
    The official line is that they resent being cut hard back. In practice, if you feed and water them afterwards, they bounce back. Ideally the same treatment as lavender right from the word 'go' keeps them under control....take off 1" - 2" all over after flowering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Silu, pruned dozens of ceanothus, scores in fact :). Those pruned hard usually died.
      However, I pruned one back very hard for a friend..it had grown into and swamped an azalea. The azalea was regarded as precious so if the ceanothus was lost it would not be the end of the world. Suffice to say it responded beautifully despite the rule book.
      So, Silu, cut back the offending branches and only lightly trim the rest. If you can, try to cut leaving at least one or two leaves on the hard cut branches.
      Agree with noisette, pruning from the start is important
      Oh! And take cuttings. Now is good or asap after flowering. A "heel" cutting dipped in hormone powder/ gel and a mixture of perlite and mpc is ideal :)

• Informative Informative x 2
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Many thanks for the information both. I'll lop off the offending branches and will leave enough to still have a few leaves as per @Verdun:).I'll try and get round to prune them lightly after flowering in the future as you suggest @noisette47 The 1 that is taking over the driveway had it's leader broken by a very late (April) fall of snow last Spring. My god by loosing the leader the shrub has spread out like wild fire! I was quite happy that it was going skyward pre snow but hey the weather always throws up challenges to us gardeners:rolleyespink:. Blown a hoolie here all day and my herbaceous Peonies have had a battering. Bit fed up as my Duchesse de Nemours were (accent on the were) looking absolutely gorgeous but in comparison to the ghastly events that have been going on recently a few trashed flowers isn't a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +13,966
          It is frustrating though when you've waited all year for something to flower and then it gets drowned/battered/scorched/sangliered..insert catastrophe of choice :biggrin:
          I've just practiced what I preach on a Ceanothus near my pond. The frogs are looking a bit stunned by the sudden influx of daylight :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1