Pruning Hebes

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by wren1, Jul 10, 2021.

1. wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Hi everyone, this is my favourite Hebe. I love the colours. It's one of the first things I planted when I moved in 5/6 years ago and knew nothing about gardening. It's now too big and is overhanging the grass. Can I cut it right back? How far can I go? It's quite woody. I don't want to get it wrong and lose it! I've taken some cuttings but I don't know how successful they're going to be.

I also have a section (pictured) that is not variated anymore. What causes that and is there anything I can do about it?

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,386
    I think light trimming works much better than hard cut backs with Hebes, so best to do a light trim every year rather than something harder every two or three years.
    I'd do it after the flowers fade.
    They do regenerate from older wood sometimes, but I dont think its guaranteed.

Maybe make sure the cuttings have rooted before doing it, as I remember they root fairly easy.

I'd remove the all green part right back to where it joins another stem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
      Good news in that 2 of the 3 cuttings I took have rooted. I've put them into bigger pots. Hope I don't kill them yet!

Any idea about the variegation loss?

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,386
        As I said, remove the parts that have reverted to all green right back to variegated wood.

• Like Like x 1
        • wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
          +53
          Ah, thanks. I'd misunderstood what you meant there. I thought you meant to only cut the green bit of the stem when pruning, not as far as the brown bit. I see what you mean now!