1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

pruning lavender

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by dalbuie, Jul 31, 2005.

1. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have two rows of lavender growing up either side of my front path, it has taken quite a battering over the last few days with heavy rain, the flowers seem to have gone back quite a bit I was wondering if I should cut them back now or not ? :confused:

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I usually trim back when flowering is finished,not much left by then though because I cut all through the season and have the house full.I have Hidcote varity,grew them from seed,(I knew the gardener, shhhh) ;)

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Like paladin I cut mine throughout the season but it is coming to an end now with some of mine & I shall give them a good trim back as the weather has about finished them. I find it also helps to keep the plants more compact.

[ 31. July 2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

4. Smiler

Smiler Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I don't really know too much about gardening. We moved into our first house with a garden at the beginning of last summer. I planted some lavender and this year it seems to have taken over the entire flower bed! How much can I trim it back? Should I wait until the end of the season?

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Smiler,
    Have given mine a first trim now flowers are over.
    Trimmed back flower stems to the first small set of silver/green leaves. Later on I take the shears to it around end of Sept to give it an even compact shape. [​IMG]

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Not particularly appro po of the subject but;
    When I first moved into my present home, there was an odd almost triangluar shaped flower bed at the front which I decided to have as a lavender bed. So I put in four shrubs but three died in the first year.

What I didn't know at the time was that there was a huge range of types - I though a lavender was a lavender was a lavender!!

So I unwittingly replaced them with plants that have a totally different habit being smaller, deeper in colour and flowering at a different time!!

Now while the first one has gown quite large and is squeezed between two gates the others have room to grow unfettered.

The joy of gardening! It's a steep learning curve, aint it!?!

[​IMG]

[ 20. August 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lovely picture.

Golden rule with lavender is not to prune into the old wood. However to keep it from getting woody and leggy, you need to prune hard as previously advise down to the first leaves of this seasons growth when the flowers start to fade.

Gorgeous plants and the range is large - including grown as standards. I love them the bees love them - great plants

8. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i bought two lavender plants at a garden centre this spring. Knowing how large they can grow i asked if they were dwalf as i wanted them for the side of a path to my front door.
    I was assured they were.
    They are huge! Spawling right across the path.

9. Smiler

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for all the advise. I'm still not sure whether to start pruning the lavender or not. Although lots of the flowers are starting to die, there still seems to be quite a lot of fresh flowers...and it is still covered in bees!

[​IMG]

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wait til its stopped producing new flowers - you can cut the dead flowers back to the first leaves above the old wood - but I find that a bit fiddly. So I wait til their is now new flower bud and the prune it. Mine too has got a mixture of dead flowers and new flowers.

11. Smiler

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I'll do that. Thank you.