1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning Phygelius rectus "African Queen"

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by David G, Jan 7, 2007.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All
    I have a Phygelius rectus, "African Queen" in a 14" pot on the patio, it is looking a bit straggly when and how much should I prune off.

Thanks

Dave

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    This is what I found on googling...

http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/shrubs/Phygelius_WinchesterFanfare.html

It has a lovely quote - "Plant a phygelius and watch the hummingbirds flock to it." - maybe I'd better look for a UK site!

Moorland Cottage Plants gives this advice, which fits with what I'd expect....

"Phygelius Cape Figwort. Strictly speaking, phygelius are evergreen shrubs and attain a large size in their native Africa. They are much hardier than frequently supposed and in frosty climates behave like hardy perennials with the stems being cut down in harsh weather. Leave the old stems on the plant during winter for extra protection and cut back during spring. In really cold areas a dry mulch will give extra protection. They are grown for their large, branching panicles of numerous, showy, tubular flowers which are borne over a long period."

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Davidguy - Good choice - I have a Phygelius Rectus 'Cherry Ripe', which is a lovely plant. Mind you, if it grows to five foot you are going to have a big plant. I am sure Dendro is right about the treatment (she always is!). I didn't dare leave mine outside this winter, but I took some cuttings very late in October-ish, and should have several to play with next year. It probably is hardy.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thank you, Peter! What a nice thing to say!

I ahve an unidentified one that I got in the rescue section at one of our local GCs - it's a yellow one - maybe when I see it in bloom next year I'll have a shot at getting an ident. Looks like it may be Yellow Trumpet.

One of my neighbours has one out in a not very sheltered part of the garden, and it's doing fine there, so I've followed their lead, and put mine in our front garden.

5. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do'n't know the name of the ones in my garden but they have been there for two years now without problem although I know them to be a bit suspect to the frosts and I do dry mulch. The heights vary from 2-3ft. in my garden and lots of suckers which are easily removed as it says in the web site in Dendy's reply.
    They are rather straggly/leggy and need a bit more sun that what they get - am going to try pruning to the ground later in the year.