1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning Raspberries - Tulameen

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by bluemoon, Feb 25, 2010.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have just recieved some Tulameen canes and was wondering about pruning (I've never grown raspberries before) - I've copied this from a website I found:

"Tulameen - Floricane - produces fruit on second year wood."

"To prune Floricane varieties cut down all of the canes that have fruited to 6â? from the ground after the canes have finished fruiting. Any weak looking new shoots should also be cut down. Tie in the remaining shoots to the support wires as they grow throughout the rest of the year. In early March prune off any â??die backâ?? that has occurred over the Winter and if there is excessive growth higher than your wire supports prune back to approximately the top wire."

Now my question is: If they fruit on the second year wood why would I cut them back to 6" above the ground or is it that not every cane will produce fruit and because you don't cut them back these will be the fruit bearing canes for the following year?
    When they arrived they looked like sticks with roots (as described by my wife!)

Cheers,
    Rob.

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've just bought some of these myself.

First year (this year), plant and cut down to 6".

Second year, you will have some stems from the roots. cut half of these down to 6" (ie treat as having fruited). Tip the remaining stem to about 48". Does this about now. The tipped stems will fruit during the summer.

Third year. You will now have the new shoots thrown up during last year's summer which you should tip to 48" and stems that fruited last year which you will cut down to 6". Do this about now.

repeat sequence each year.

Sorry, but no fruit this summer

3. bluemoon

bluemoon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No fruit - now that is a dissapointment! :(

I suppose a bit of time spent now will pay off in the long run though.

Thanks for the info and good luck with your raspberries