1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pruning / Trimming a Lilac tree.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Charlie996, May 17, 2015.

1. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    In the top corner of the garden we have a white Lilac tree that at the moment is in full flower. In honesty we have not touched the tree for the two years we have lived here. But we have noticed it has sprouted a huge extra branch at the back which has really grown fast and is overhanging the fence and our ace neighbors pergola.
    The tree is getting a bit large now and I realise I should not cut prune or trim while its flowering.
    So my question is at what point do I prune and is it something I can do myself or should I get a tree surgeon in ? I would much prefer to do it myself if its A possible and B advisable. I dont want to kill or maim the tree .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the new branch that overhangs next door. The neighbours haven't mentioned the tree at all but I think it best to get it under control as it is over their pergola.
    [​IMG]

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    • Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I've always cut my in-laws Lilac as above advice, but never read it before as it seemed so obvious, so I've always trained them as multi-stemmed bushes (rather than trees), cutting flowers for vases, keep cutting larger stems to the ground and using stuff cut off for pea sticks.

• Like Like x 2
      • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,523
        We pruned ours quite hard last year and have no flowers this year.

• CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,523
      • TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
        +247
        Firstly I think it looks a lovely specimen and it would be a shame to prune it, but I do understand your concerns regarding it overhanging your neighbours property. If it were my tree I would talk to your neighbour first and ask their opinion on it. Ask if they feel it intrudes upon them. They may even like the tree themselves and enjoy the shade it provides.

If they do feel it's an issue and one that you would like to resolve yourself I would carefully prune it back from the fence, ensuring you cut it back to a suitable growing point and without damaging the bark more than neccessary.

Try this link for some further info: http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/the-importance-of-proper-pruning-of-trees.2125/

Matthew

• Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
        Ratings:
        +857
        Thanks everyone.. To be honest I think I will get a professional to look after the tree as I would be upset if I spoiled it..

Matthew our neighbours are brilliant and have not complained and I bet they never would but I would rather prevent them from having to do so.

Thanks again all I appreciate your advice !!