1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Prunus mume -- leaves not growing

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Kon, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Kon

Kon Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Last summer I bought a small Prunus mume 'Beni-Chidori'. I kept it initially in a pot, and it suddenly dropped nearly all its leaves in late summer, before they turned and fell in autumn. I put this down to heat and/or inadequate watering, but I held on to the tree in the hope that it would recover.

During the winter I planted it out into the garden. It blossoms in February, and blossomed reasonably well, so I was hopeful it would do make a good recovery this year. However, I am disappointed now to see that the leaves have appeared only on a few lower branches, and there is little sign of any new leaves elsewhere.

Any solutions -- should I wait and hope it will recover? Prune back severely the parts that are not showing new leaves? Or start again with a new tree?

[​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I would scrape the bark with fingernail to see if it is green (thus alive) underneath. I would give it time ... a whole season even ... never can quite tell in situations like this.