1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pumpkins sending out 'runners'

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Peter Thompson, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Peter Thompson

Peter Thompson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

my burgeoning pumpkin plants are sending out sort of runners across paths and into other beds:

[​IMG]

It's the thing heading south west from the plant. What, if anything, am I supposed to do with this? Before long, it's going to be into my tomatoes (if it isn't there already!)

TIA,
    P.

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Push sticks in either side of stems to 'steer' them in the desired direction. If you draw out shallow scrapes in the ground and bury stems in them, it will not only assist keeping them in place, but encourage the stems to send down roots at each leaf node, provide extra substinence, and produce bigger pumpkins.

But you are really rather late with a plant of that size.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Peter Thompson

Peter Thompson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      They were planted out at the end of June if memory serves, which was just within the recommended planting out period.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,694
      To get decent sized pumpkins I would expect the plants to have really long runners on ,by now, especially bearing in mind the weather this year, up to now.
      Would also expect there to be some swelling fruits at this stage.;):smile:
      Not TOO late I guess, but things need to get a move on.