Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by lil-lisa, Apr 6, 2005.

1. lil-lisa

lil-lisa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last Halloween I planted some seeds from my sons pumpkin and now have 2 plants about 3 to 4 inches tall but now I'm at a loss as to how to grow them...I don't have a greenhouse and was wondering if they would grow in pots? Any ideas would be appreciated

2. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi There. In my experience I have found pumpkins very greedy and space consuming plants to grow....although great fun. Your plants need to be kept indoors until all risk of frost has passed and then put into the garden with a good dose of well rotted manure or compost. They need good light and plenty of water to produce their best. Again, be warned they need plenty of room! I shouldn't imagine they would do very well in pots. Good luck [​IMG] .

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lil-Lisa

Pumpkins are indeed very greedy. I follow Bob Flowerdew's advice & pinch out the growing tip when there are 2-3 baby pumpkins per plant (about 5cm diameter), otherwise it's energy just goes into making more & more leaf & stem & they get really, really huge! Also I've found if you don't pinch them out, the baby pumpkins fall off or don't get very big. I feed twice a week with liquid seaweed, & water every day. Last year we had 5 big pumpkins from 2 plants. Watch out for slimy creatures when you first put them out - they tend to nibble right through the stem (A 2 litre water bottle with the bottom cut off placed over the plant seems to work, until the plant has filled it & is stronger)
    Hope this helps - I will post some pics -if I can find 'em!! [​IMG]