1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Purple tomatoe leaves

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Notty1975, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
    Ratings:
    +107
    0D96688E-AD2F-4560-86D7-FD00DD943E5B.jpeg E18E9203-8037-4BED-85B2-287EEC04BE0E.jpeg FB626E39-C12B-4435-A54D-C7BCD0D8902E.jpeg Hi all been growing my tomatoes in my grow area and when watering today noticed some of the leaves are turning purple
    My set up is
    Lights on 14hrs a day
    Small oscillating fan
    Water when top of soil feels dry
    Temp when lights on around 25c and 20c when off
    I’ve done a quick search on the net but it all saying to cold? Any ideas would be appreciated
    Thanks all

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    This happens with many varieties of tomatoes grown solely under artificial lights.

Yours don't actually look too bad, are they under T5s or LEDs?

This is how 'blue' some of my toms got under T5 lights before I moved them to get a mix of natural daylight and LED light

GC micro tom2.jpg

If permitted to continue growing like that, the leaves can develop white, thin, scorched patches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
      Ratings:
      +107
      They are t5 the plants are under 9 6500k ones what would you recommend I do

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Get them into some natural daylight, or if that's limited, a mix of natural daylight/cool white LEDs.

But they don't seem too bad to me.

Which variety of toms are they?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,047
      From your photo Notty I think yours look fine, nothing to worry about. I do as Scrungee says, get them out during a mild day for some proper sunshine.

• Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
      Ratings:
      +107
      I’ve got 4 different types in there
      Alicante
      Gardener’s delight
      Money maker
      Beef master
      As well as
      Cucumber
      Chilies
      Peppers
      Would a west facing window sill be ok the heater for my greenhouse hasn’t come yet so still to cold at night in there for them

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      My T5s (that caused that discoloration in my toms shown above) are only on for 10 hrs/day, mainly because I have Economy 7 tariff electricity (on 21:00 to 7:00) so I can almost halve my lighting costs by running them on the low overnight rate, but also supplement the artificial lighting with some free light by relocating any plants appearing to suffer from artificial light/needing a supplement inside a window during the sunny part of the day.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,782
        The purple colouring in the leaves and/or stem indicates that the intensity of UV light is too high for the young and tender seedlings.

The built-in sunscreen kicks in and slows down chlorophyll production which in turn slows down growth due to reduced absorption of energy through photosynthesis.

Essentially, growth is halted until conditions are right. When the conditions are right, the leaves turn back to green again.

In the OP's case, it is probably temperature related (maybe a cold draft?).

In their native environment, seeds would germinate and grow under the canopy of the parent plant from fruit (a tomato) that has fallen onto the ground.

So, it's in the tomato seedling's DNA to expect partial shade early on in its growth, anything different would trigger their self preservation purple sunscreen mechanism.

• Like Like x 2
        • Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
          Ratings:
          +107
          Brill thanks for all your help everyone

• Friendly Friendly x 1