1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pussy Willow Help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kathosullivan, May 7, 2011.

1. kathosullivan

kathosullivan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, seem to have put title as pussy willy help - can't seem to delete it. Hope I haven't offended anyone! Thanks
    Hi there, I am after so practical help with my pussy willow tree.
    Severely cut the tree about 5 months ago as it had grow quite wide in girth and was mostly dead underneath the growth. Cut it to basically a stump and left it alone. It has started growing again - much to my relief but the growth is straight, long growth - am I supposd to be tying the growth so it takes its downwards growth. Sorry, I hope this makes sense but as you can tell I am a complete novice!
    Any advie/help would be greatfully received
    Katho :what:

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi kathosullivan

It sounds like you've turned your tree into a pollard or coppice, depending on how high you've left the stump. If it's a weeping willow then the branches will droop down on their own accord, if it's not a weeping willow then they will carry on growing upright and create new stems. Keep an eye on the new regrowth as the branches will not be as strong as the original branches and will snap off if overloaded.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    I'm just wondering if you have cut the top off of a grafted plant.

Maybe it was top grafted as a weeping plant and you have cut back below the graft.