1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pyrus Calleryana Chanticleer - Struggling?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by novicetreeplanter, May 16, 2020.

1. novicetreeplanter

novicetreeplanter Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have a problem with my tree with the leaf stems turning red...

I planted an Ornamental Pear, which I bought from the ornamental-trees website, at the end of February this year (2020). Everything started off well and by the end of April, there were leaves all over it, looking a uniform deep green colour.

At the beginning of May (3rd), I applied a couple of handfuls of NPK 7-7-7 fertiliser.
    Coincidentally, on the 5th May, I noticed that some of the leaves looked more pale in colour and on closer inspection, realised that insects had been at quite a few of them. Here are a few pictures:
    2020-05-05 11.31.50.jpg 2020-05-05 15.46.12.jpg 2020-05-06 11.44.18.jpg
    Any ideas on what insects are doing this and if I need to worry? (Keep in mind that the stems and veins are still green at this stage.)

Over the past few days, I've noticed that a lot of the stems and leaves have started turning red. Even the new leaves that are coming out look red:
    2020-05-16 13.51.15.jpg 2020-05-16 13.51.50.jpg 2020-05-16 13.52.03.jpg 2020-05-16 13.52.13.jpg 2020-05-16 13.52.24.jpg
    What do you think is going on?
    This is the first time I've ever planted a tree and I hope I haven't done anything to cause this. Is there anything I need to do to help the tree at this stage?
    I give it about 5L of water every 2 days.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks,

Tree-Noob!